Welcome to the community of gov docs librarians. We all help one another.
People and Organizations
- Alicia Kubas at the University of Minnesota is the Regional Librarian for Michigan. Their webpage outlines the sources available to us.
- Bernadette Bartlett coordinates the Michigan Documents Depository Program .This is a much smaller program compared to its Federal counterpart with only 12 libraries remaining.
- ALA GODORT: like us, only bigger.
Guidance and Help
- From the FDLP, their LibGuides. Among the resources, their Introduction for New Depository Coordinators, and their gov resources, which include Quickstart Guide for new depository staff, and the FDLP legal requirements and guidance are important. Other Web Sources tab–everything on it.
- Disposal guidelines from the University of Minnesota. Includes a webinar on the new FDLP eXcahnge.
- Help! I’m an Accidental Government Information Librarian webinars from the North Carolina Library Association.
Listservs—the first 4 are a must
- GOVDOC-M – An open e-mail discussion list for the Michigan documents community at large. For further information and subscribing instructions, contact Catherine Morse cmorse [at] umich.edu.
- MINNDOCS – The official communications vehicle for Federal Depository Libraries in Minnesota, South Dakota, and Michigan. It is used for official messages from the Regional Library, for notices of meetings, and also for general information and questions for and from documents librarians in the region. Contact Alicia Kubas akubas [at] umn.edu for subscription information.
- MICHDOC – This is a closed list for Michigan Documents Depository coordinators and staff of the Library of Michigan to exchange information related to depository activities and state government resources. List members are encouraged to post queries, comments, ideas and offers of state government resources. Subscription information can be found here and the listserv archives can be found here.
- Govdoc-L: a national mailing list for depository librarians and others interested in government information. Sign up here.
- To receive notifications and announcements regarding the FDLP, sign up for their email service or follow their RSS feed.
- Michlib-l– was created for Michigan libraries to share information about best practices, management, reference, operations and other areas of interest to Michigan libraries. Anyone with an interest in Michigan libraries may join. Librarians and library support staff are especially encouraged to join. To access older archives, click here.
- DocTech-L. This listserv is devoted to questions regarding the technical processing of government documents. It is not a discussion forum for reference questions, position announcements, or conference announcements. Subscribers are generally people who are directly affiliated with processing government documents, and can include technical processing topics about federal, state, or UN documents.